There are few things in life that are as green and sumptuous as my basil hummus recipe, which can really wow your guests at your next dinner party or gathering.
Each mouthful gives you the creamy, melt-in-mouth taste of hummus, fused with the sweet and peppery flavors of fresh basil. Plenty of times I’ve put this out, and the pita bread is gone within minutes!
Basil Hummus Recipe
You are guaranteed to get your dinner guests ‘ooohing’ and ‘aahing’ when they catch sight of this gloriously green hummus, let alone taste it.
What you need for this delicious & creative basil hummus recipe:
- Chickpeas – 1 can (400g or 14oz) of chickpeas, drained
- Tahini – 1/4 cup tahini
- Basil – 1/2 cup (packed) of sweet basil leaves
- Spinach – 1 cup spinach
- Cashews – 1/4 cup cashews
- Garlic – 3 cloves of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Water – 1/4 cup of cold water
- Lemon juice – 1.5 medium lemons worth of fresh lemon juice
- Salt – 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp of salt, to taste
- Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
Step 1 – In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients except for the olive oil.
Step 2 – Blend or pulse until a smooth mix has formed.
Step 3 – Drizzle in the olive oil slowly while blending or pulsing the hummus.
Step 4 – Give the hummus a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. And if it’s too thick, add more water (1 tablespoon at a time) and blend or pulse until smooth.
Step 5 – Garnish the hummus with basil and cashews. Serve with your favorite sides.
This really is a creative take on traditional hummus. The freshness and earthiness of the flavor, combined with its luxuriously creamy texture make for a dish that intrigues as much as it deeply satisfies. I hope you enjoy it!
Basil Hummus Recipe Card
- 1 can (400g or 14 oz) of chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup sweet basil leaves, packed
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1.5 lemons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, to taste
- In a blender or food processor, add all the ingredients except for the olive oil.
- Blend or pulse until a smooth mix has formed.
- Drizzle in the olive oil slowly while blending or pulsing the hummus.
- Give the hummus a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. And if it’s too thick, add more water (1 tablespoon at a time) and blend or pulse until smooth.
- Garnish the hummus with basil and cashews. Serve with your favorite sides.
Keep this creamy and fresh green basil hummus recipe for safekeeping by saving it to one of your foodie or recipe Pinterest boards.