I absolutely love this thick, tender, and creamy mushroom sauce recipe, because it really is the cupid of homemade foods, and it pairs with pretty much anything!
Mushroom Sauce Recipe
Whether I’m searing a prime cut of steak or whipping up some creamy mash for a comfort food day, this sauce can just bring a dish together, no matter what it is!
If you find yourself constantly wondering what to do with ingredients in the fridge, I urge you to try this recipe. It’s so easy to make, and it’s one of my go-to’s on those days I want to make quick, delicious food with whatever I have on hand.
What you need for this mushroom sauce:
- Mushrooms – 600 grams (1.3 lb) mushrooms, sliced
- Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche – 300 grams (10.5 oz)
- Onion – 1 onion (1 big or 2 smaller onions)
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced or grated
- Herbs – fresh rosemary, 1 sprig (remove all the leaves and roughly chop, discarding the stem). You can use other herbs you have on hand, including thyme or sage and including dried herbs (although fresh herbs will be more flavorful!)
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper – 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper or to your taste
Step 1 – In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil and a pinch of salt and saute the onion for about 2 minutes until softened.
Step 2 – Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for about 10-12 minutes on medium heat.
Step 3 – Turn the heat to low, and add the minced garlic. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
Step 4 – Add the sour cream and herbs. Stir and cook for about 1.5 min – 2 min on low heat.
Step 5 -Taste and add salt & pepper. I added about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper.
Once ready, this silky, creamy mushroom sauce can be paired with so many dishes and other foods. I love it with some roasted buckwheat or crisp roast potatoes, but you really can try this delicious sauce with just about anything. Get creative, and enjoy!
Mushroom Recipe Card
- 600 grams mushrooms, sliced
- 300 grams (10.5 oz) sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1 large or 2 small onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil and a pinch of salt and saute the onions for about 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for about 10-12 minutes on medium heat
- Turn the heat to low, and add the minced garlic. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the sour cream and herbs. Stir and cook for about 1.5 min – 2 min on low heat.
- Taste and add salt & pepper to taste.
Note 1: You can use whatever herbs you have on hand, including rosemary, thyme, or sage, and including dried herbs (although fresh herbs will be more flavorful!)
Want to try this creamy mushroom sauce? Save this article to one of your foodie or recipe Pinterest boards, so that you can make it at a later date.